1. It is a mandatory document used in property transactions as evidence of free title/ownership.
2. It is important for those applying for a home loan or obtaining a home loan against property or when a person wants to sell or buy a property.
3. It contains all the transactions registered relating to a particular property for a certain period so that one can get to know the real state of that property
Encumbrance certificate records all the ownership activities of a property. It is applicable to your flat, apartment ora vacant land. The encumbrance certificate shows you allyour previous owners as well as the latest It can be taken up to 20 years from online. The process is completely done through ‘Screenonline’ website of Karnataka government. In our previous video we had explained howto make the user credentials of kaveri online portal Log in using your email id and password registered in the kaveri online portal.
We will explain you the step by step procedure to fill data and search your property, and find online EC detail, and then submit thisEC for digital signature from the registration office, pay the nominal fees directly online,and get the EC downloaded online WITHOUT visiting the corresponding registration office.
We explain here about online EC making and the CC making is explained in another video. There is an option left side of the page under the services menu saying, ‘online EC’. Click on the same, it will take you to thenext page where you can search for your property The page has many details we need to fillin, which helps to search for our property. The main things are the date from where towhere we need to search for the EC. Then the district and the village propertybelong to, the property number details and the property boundary details. So, let us fill one by one… For example request EC from 2014 to 2019. Here in this example, I have a reference ECcopy. It was pulled randomly, for explaining the process here. We mask out the private information in this EC copy.
In this EC, the property we are referringto is here on the screen, as you can see, property details say as the ‘panchayath’and the other boundary information of the property. The district of the property says ‘BengaluruUrban’, village name is ‘doddathoguru’ We copy each of the data from the older ECcopy, starting from the village name Next, we pick the property number details. It says ‘Flat No’ 107. Now we pick the boundary details. It says EAST is Private property from sys number 162, WEST Sys number 101/6, SOUTHprivate property and NORTH is road. Make sure you don’t start with any spacecharacter in each filed, else the ‘Invalid input’ error highlights. Now we need to fill the total measurementof the property. In our case, the property is of 2035 squarefeet. So, we need to select the unit as square feetand the dimension as 2035. Once all data filled in, click on the ‘SendOTP button’.
You must wait to receive an OTP on your mobile number you registered with this portal Make sure your mobile is kept in a place where there is enough signal so that it will receive SMS Sometimes it takes time to get the OTP. If you did not get any OTP even after a minute,you can again click on the send OTP button. Now after entering the valid OTP, please check the box ‘Check to apply for digitally signed EC’ Do not forget this check box. Click on the search button and wait for theportal to search for the EC details you provided. If it finds valid EC a pdf will be loadedwith the details, else you get a blank page You can scroll down and see the details of EC We got many property details here; this isbecause there are many properties matching the data You can scroll down the page and find thesame property details which you are looking for Don’t worry about the extra data presentin this document.
You can proceed with the same data you obtained. When apply for digital signing of this documentthe registration department will pull the data you have applied for. Even if the registration officers sign thecomplete data, you don’t have to worry about this because you got extra EC but still itcontains your data too. So, no worry about extra data, we need toworry only if our data is not present.
So, this EC data you pulled will contain thedetails within the search period you gave while searching for it in the portal. If any owner change happened in between, thesame will reflect in this EC document. This way you can also verify the transactionson your property. Tick the box which says ‘The aboveresult are related to the input provided by me’ at the bottom of the page and then clickon the ‘Proceed’ button. Now the submission is done, scroll down the page and at the end click on the ‘Submit’ button Now you get a popup saying ‘the requiredfees is not paid, please proceed’. Yes, so that is the next step for us, we aregoing to pay the required fees online, for this process to complete. The same page appears again, you can justcross verify by again clicking on the ‘Submit’ The same page appears and if you scroll thepage a little bit up, you can see ‘Payment details’ where you see a ‘click for epayment’ hyperlink. This is the place where you need to clickand complete the payment process. When you click there, it shows you the breakupand the complete fee you are supposed to pay. Now we see here is 90 rupees total, it mightchange later.
Now click the button agree to pay and ‘Proceedto pay’. This will take you to an e payment platformwhere you can pay using either debit card, credit card or net banking option. I just used the net banking option since itwas handy for me. When you select the net banking option youget to select the bank you wish to pay from. Select the bank and as well as enter the captchashown correctly which will take you to bank payment page. I am not going to do a real time payment here, it is a demo of the process. So, this is a demo for you, and once the paymentis successfully made, by clicking the submit button, the payment process will continue,and you give your bank credentials and OTP if needed and make the e payment successfully. Do not worry, if the payment is failed inbetween, you can always go back to kaveri portal and click on the pending applicationand still make a payment later. Once the payment is success, you get a receiptlike this, which shows all your transaction including the bank name and amount and thetransaction id. Always keep a note of this details, it willbe stored in the portal but still it’s a good practice to note down the transactionid. Now you click on the ‘Return to Application’button. You will get an application submitted successfullymessage with an acknowledgement number.
This acknowledge number will be messaged to you by default. But still just note down this acknowledge number . This number is important because you are going to follow up the status of… application using this number, later. Now when you come back to the page of Kaveri,there is a View Timeline button, which will show you the current status of the application. The complete signing process will take arounda week or even 10 days. There might be multiple officers signing yourEC application. Each time an officer signs your application,you will get an SMS on your mobile. When you check the time online, you get ascreen showing the time and officer name who signed the application. Now when the complete process Is over, youget a document like this is, which is the final EC document and when you scroll downthe EC, you can see all the officer’s details who have signed our EC document. There will also be a digital signature onthe top of each page,
which is the encrypted. . In my case there were 3 offers digitally signedthe EC. Now let us see how we can see the status ofour EC each time we get a SMS on our mobile saying EC is ready. You have to go back to kaveri online portal,enter your credentials and login. Now you must click on the pending/saved application tab on the left side. And in that select the ‘saved application’option. Now in the new page, click on the Document Registration drop down list, and select the Online EC application. You can see all the EC application search you made The last application you submitted will be shown in the first. So in our case we need to click on the firstapplication number listed here.
There is a folder icon in the ‘view application’column. You must click on the folder icon. I am just masking the personal information here. Now we get all the details we have appliedfor and we scroll down the page to see the details. And below you see check for e payment andthe check payment status hyperlinks. You just click on the check payment statusto see whether your payment was successfully done. It would have been successfully done, butstill we can reconfirm. For example, in my case, I did not reallydo a payment, so you can see here that even though all reference number is there, thestatus shown is ‘Payment pending at payment gateway’. Also you can see the total payed amount ismarked as 0. But in your case if the payment was successit should reflect as payment made for the amount as success.
Click on close and come back to the main page. So, if your signing is process is complete,instead of the ‘Submit’ button in the application page, you should get a ‘Download’button. Note that, for each officer signing the statuswill be ‘Submit’ state, and only when all the signing process is complete, it will change to ‘Download’ status. So here I show you how it looks like when each time officer signs your EC. It will be in reverse order and you need toclick on latest view application folder icon. For each officer sign you get each entry inthe list. But always click on the first folder icon to get it downloaded.
Format for Application to be filed to apply for an encumbrance certificate
Know What is Encumbrance Certificate and its Importance
The home-buying procedure asks for multiple documents and hence the home buyers are suggested to keep the papers ready for submission. One out of many legal papers is the Encumbrance Certificate. Thus, you must know the importance of EC while going forward to complete a home purchase deal. So, scroll down the page and know everything about the Encumbrance Certificate.
What is an Encumbrance Certificate?
This legal document is popularly known as EC. The definition of Encumbrance Certificate refers to any pending liability on the property. The Encumbrance Certificate is issued yearly that starts from 1st April and ends on 31st March. This is a registered listing of all the transactions related to property within the said timeframe. A person is required to visit the sub-registrar office to collect this certificate.
Why Encumbrance Certificate is Required?
An EC is an official document that defines if the property you wish to buy has a clear title or not. The Encumbrance Certificate with a charge or fee mentioned on it shows that the property has some existing liabilities. These liabilities can either be financial or legal. The home buyer is suggested to ask the concerned person about the fee mentioned on the Encumbrance Certificate and he/she should also emphasize to get all the dues cleared before completing the property registration process.
This legal document is also necessary to get the home loan approval. As per the guideline for sanctioning of home loan, the borrower has to submit the encumbrance certificate to the lender for availing the loan. The bank usually demands an EC between 10-15 years depending upon the age of the property.
Documents Required to get Encumbrance Certificate
A person is required to have a set of legal papers including:
- Property details including the title deeds or property sale deed/gift deed/partition deed/release deed if any such execution has taken place in the past.
- Submit the deed number shown on the registration that has a date, book number and applicant’s signature.
- Address proof of the applicant
- Property Registration paper
Steps to Apply for Encumbrance Certificate Online
The application process to avail encumbrance certificate differs from state to state. Some states have an online platform to apply for EC while in some states you have to visit the office of sub-registrar to get the Encumbrance Certificate. Here we let you know the steps to make an online application for Encumbrance Certificate.
- Visit the official land registration website of the respective state and select the option –Apply for EC
- Fill all the mandatory fields displayed on the application for Encumbrance Certificate window and click on SAVE/UPDATE.
- Enter the tenure for which you require EC and click on the CALCULATE FEE button.
- After paying the fee you will be redirected to the acknowledgment window. Click on the VIEW ACKNOWLEDGMENT window and take the print out of the acknowledgment.
- An inspector from the land record department will inspect the property and will verify all property-related issues for the specific period.
- After the inspection, the concerned authority will release the Encumbrance Certificate for the transactions in regard to the property in the said tenure. The authority release NIL Encumbrance Certificate in case no transaction is found for the said period.
Steps to Apply for Encumbrance Certificate Offline
The application process to avail encumbrance certificate differs from state to state. In some places, the person is required to visit the office of the sub-registrar to get the Encumbrance Certificate. Here we have listed a step-wise process to apply offline for Encumbrance Certificate.
- Visit the office of Sub-Registrar and submit the duly filled FORM -22
- In the form, the applicant is required to mention the details of Buyer, Seller, Property address and more
- Deposit the Fee at the counter
- You will receive an acknowledgment receipt post the submission of the fee. This receipt is useful to track the application status.
Steps to Track Encumbrance Certificate
Once the application is made, you receive an acknowledgment receipt that can be used to track the status of the application. The application can be tracked on the same website where you have applied for EC.
- Select EC Status under the Encumbrance Certificate option listed under the Certificate menu
- Enter the TRASANCTION ID you are provided with and enter the Captcha. Click on CHECK STATUS and print the EC in case the document is prepared.
How long does it take to receive Encumbrance Certificate?
The duration varies from state to state. However, it takes merely 2-3 days to process EC against the online application. The duration for the receival of EC against the offline application for Encumbrance Certificate is between 15-30 days.
What is an encumbrance certificate?
It is one of the mandatory documents used in-house property transactions. This is the evidence of the fact that the property referred has a free title or ownership. While purchasing a house, it is very important to verify whether the property is free from legal or monetary liability. This certificate ensures that a person has a complete ownership of the property.
Why is it important to get encumbrance certificate?
This certificate is important to those who want to obtain loans against their house properties or buy or sell a house property. It not only confirms the legal title of the owner over the property, but it also makes one eligible to obtain loans or advances from banks or any financial institutions against the property.
How to obtain a encumbrance certificate?
The certificate can be obtained from the sub-registrar’s office where the property in reference is registered. To obtain an encumbrance certificate, one has to follow these procedures :
- An application is to be made to the registrar for obtaining the certificate in Form 22. This form is available on the official land registration site of the respective states.
- This application will be accompanied with Rs. 2 stamp paper , an attested copy of the address proof , purpose of the certificate required for and details of the property and its title.
- A person has to also pay a prescribed fees along with the application.
- After the application is filed, an inspector will inspect all the transactions happened against the property in a particular period.
- After the inspection, sub-registrar will issue an encumbrance certificate in Form no. 15 with all the transactions in a specified period . Also, if there is no transactions happened, a NIL encumbrance certificate in Form no. 16 will be issued.
- The issuance of certificate usually takes 15-30 days from the date of application.
- The requisite fees for the certificate starts with Rs. 100 and goes up based on the number of years one needs the encumbrance certificate for . Also, the fees varies from state to state rules and regulation.
- The certificate is issued in the regional language but also it may be obtained in english translation by paying an additional fee.
- It is advised that a person should obtain both encumbrance certificate and a possession certificate as a proof of ownership of the property.